Monday, May 14, 2012

Big Weekend Part I

Each year my sisters and I go on a weekend to do nothing but look for and list all the birds we see or hear.  We always choose a month in May when migration should be at its peak.  Most years we see great birds and every year we reconnect with each other and share memories of growing up together with the best parents in the whole wide world!  I do love birds, but I love laughing and family even more!  Adding all those things together in one weekend equals pure joy!

Some years we have met in Muskegon Michigan where we travel to the Wastwater facility known worldwide for its great birding. Muskegon was the starting point for my "Big Weekend"! I knew that this year was going to be a good one when I looked out the window and saw this beauty...


I hope he stays around for a while!  I pointed out a tree to this bird that has a perfect cavity for a nest.  Sadly, Starlings have taken over many nesting sites of these beautiful birds so they have become a rare sight.
 I do think the Red-Headed Woodpecker is the most striking woodpecker of all.
I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to leave my backyard when I looked out the window and saw an Eastern Towhee, Catbird and Northern Oriole right there.  I would soon find it was worth it to travel to Grand Rapids then Ann Arbor and finally to Kelly's Island in Lake Erie for great times with sisters and birds.

Kelly's Island is a spot in Lake Erie. To reach the Island you must take a ferry.  It is the largest Island on Lake Erie.  It is filled with history, trails for hiking and roads for biking.  One of my favorite signs on the island is this one...

There are many housing options available.  My sister is a pro at finding us great places to sleep and play.  This house was no exception.  There were enough beds to house several families...Three bedrooms each with at least three beds.  A full kitchen, deck and fire pit were there for us to enjoy.  
We spent much time out on this deck...eating, laughing and birding!  Orioles,  Downy
woodpeckers, Great-Crested Flycatchers and Indigo Buntings entertained us as we enjoyed our
evening appetizers! 

Spacious rooms with plenty of light and views, this was a good stay!

Though we never gathered around the campfire we liked knowing that we could!
With all the comforts of home to return to we were able to enjoy our walks into the wooded wonderland of this beautiful island. The first hike we took was to the glacial grooves now protected by fencing.  It's free and has many plaques giving even more information about their formation and about the history of the island.  Sorry, I mostly looked for birds!




Catalpa Tree


Bambi!
I would love to go back to this island with my family.  It is peaceful, beautiful and when I was there, quiet!  You really feel like you are stepping back or away from time!  Come back soon and see what other beautiful sights I saw on Kelly's Island.

I'd rather be birding,
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. What a great shot of the woodpecker! I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful photo of the young buck. Haze of bugs in sunshine and sunshine coming through the velvet on his antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like we both got to enjoy beautiful woodpecker sightings (although I'm jealous of yours since I've not seen that one yet). Haven't been to Kelly's Island, but the house you stayed in sounds pretty amazing, and I'd LOVE to be able to catch a glimpse of just a couple of the birds you mentioned.

    Joy
    JEMinEYE

    ReplyDelete