Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Metamorphosis

I'm thinking a lot about metamorphosis tonight.  It has been a long day and quite honestly, I'm ready to curl up in a cocoon and hope and pray I turn into a butterfly tomorrow.  I said goodbye to a dear friend today.  He was too young to die.  Fifty-two years young with a family is just too young. My husband's cousin was something special. I mean really special!  I'm not the only one to know this...The church was standing room only! I feel blessed and privileged to have known this extraordinary caterpillar!  I was able to camp, party, laugh, and play with an amazing person who packed as much living into everyday as he possibly could.  The world will be a sadder place without him, but Heaven will seem much more like a party knowing that he is there!  He has shed his earthly cocoon, spread his wings and tonight he runs without growing tired and soars not on butterfly wings, but wings of an eagle.  Rest in peace, Andy.  You will be missed.

For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I have been known. 1 Corinthians 13:12





Red Admiral?
So here are pictures of butterflies I saw while on Kelly's Island last weekend.  Each was beautiful and amazing.  I have no clue what kind some of them are.  I find each thing with wings amazing and beautiful to behold.  I praise God that He has given us such a great illustration of the transformation that we have in Him.  We're caterpillars now, but one day...
I have know idea what kind of butterfly this is...or what kind I'll turn into!  I just
know it is beautiful!
When I walked out of the funeral today, a bird hit the window of the church door.  A young man picked it up and cradled it in his hands.  It stayed nestling in his touch while I watched.  The bird was an Ovenbird.  Even when I was standing sad and mourning I was able to see the beauty of God's creation in this gorgeous bird.  It rested for quite some time before it took flight.  Rest in God's everlasting arms and then...Take flight!

I'd rather be birding,
Jenny

5 comments:

  1. You are already a beautiful butterfly, but may have a broken wing. You will heal & fly again. And one day you'll fly w the beautiful Andy butterfly in heaven. «hugs» & prayers for you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, Jenny, I'm so sorry for your (and your whole family's) loss of Andy. Yes, wrap yourself in a cocoon for tonight or maybe a day or two, but then wake to the beauty that will follow. . . . It will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of words from a favorite Chris Rice song:
    And with your final heartbeat
    Kiss the world goodbye
    Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
    Fly to Jesus
    Fly to Jesus
    Fly to Jesus and live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is one of my favorite Chris Rice songs, too!

      Delete