Sunday, March 25, 2012

Family VS Birds

Though my family finds it very difficult to believe,  I do love them more than I love birds.  It is true that I have more bird pictures than I have baby pictures.  It is true that the birds often eat more expensive food.  To prove my love to my 13 year old girl who is deathly afraid of fresh air, I skipped my planned bird hike and suffered through a trip to the mall. enjoyed a delightful shopping trip to the mall.  It was sunny warm and beautiful outside.  I was in the mall but dreaming of my trip to the Muskegon Lake bike trail last week.  . . .
This Song Sparrow was singing his song...ahh spring!

Red-Winged Black Birds galore!

Last years cattails are ready for this years nests.

Watch out little minnows....I heard and saw a belted king-fisher!

I don't recall another March day that was so delightful!  Turtles were all around this small pond sunning themselves.
I was quite thrilled when I discovered that I can ride a bike, carry a camera and binoculars at the same time!
I was happy to spend time with my daughter who is allergic to fresh air, but I'd rather have takin' her birding!



4 comments:

  1. SO completely understand not wanting to go to the mall on a beautiful day (as far as I'm concerned ANY day). But I know you had fun w/ your daughter. Eventually, you'll get her out on some birding adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I'm very different now than I was in college! I would MUCH rather be outside than in a mall!! My daughter has been dragged on many a bird, museum, train outing! I was glad(?) to go shopping with her...Someday she'll like birds, but she'll always love me!! I now wish I hadn't wasted so much time inside when I was younger!!

      Delete
    2. Hey Jen,
      Nice pictures of a couple of "early birds." I heard a bunch of phoebes yesterday near the Huron River at the Hudson Mills Metropark. I also thought I heard towhees, but I am not certain. While riding on a nearby dirt road I heard a sound that took me about 20 seconds to mentally sort through what it was (I need to dust off Birding by Ear). It sounded like a Sora. I was near a pond where there were other water birds. But I only heard it once and it could just as easily have been a starling imitating a sora! With all of the flowering trees and shrubs and warm weather it is really strange not to be hearing lots of other birds, like we would in May.

      Delete
    3. It sounds like you had a good birding day. I was fooled by a blue jay twice this weekend. I thought he was the resident RS Hawk...grrr!!

      Delete