Monday, March 26, 2012

Dinner Guest


I'm really surprised that people invite me over for dinner when the dinner party is outside.  I show up with my camera, binoculars, and field guides. Then other guests start pointing things out and I can't help myself I get giddy and start talking about birds and I just can't stop!  Sometimes I get invited back and sometimes I don't...




I was at a dinner party this weekend.  It has been unseasonably warm and it was a perfect evening to be outside.  Our friends live on a lake. It wasn't entirely my fault that I had to frequently look out over the lake to view birds or answer questions.  Everyone seemed completly interested in birds so I just kept spouting talking.  Wouldn't you know it this guy showed up.  I'm sure hoping you know what this is... 


Snow Goose?

Ross's x Snow Goose?

or Graylag Goose?
I hope someone can help me.  I felt completely flustered  by this bird.  I may not be invited back because I couldn't ID this guy.  I actually left my guide at home, but I'm not sure it would have helped!

Luckily this guy I could identify....


Crow...I was eating it!
I was happy to see this friend, too....
Common Merganser...The host wondered what the others looked like if this guy was "common"!
Well I'm off to bed, but I'd rather be birding!

Jenny


3 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Birds are amazing, although I'm not quite the enthusiast you are. I'm working on it, SLOWLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the "Anser"! Check out this site and see if you agree that the goose was a greylag goose.

    http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I was leaning towards, too! It was fun to see something that was a bit different. I hope I get invited back to this place...I used really nice table manners!! ;)

      Delete