Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crazy Neighbor Lady

I thought I was getting a picture of a Fox but it was a Song!

This skulker was so hard to capture.  The Fox Sparrow is a large
sparrow that is sneaky like fox and is on his way to his breeding
grounds in the boreal forest far north from us!
I love Saturdays.  I'm sure this isn't a surprise announcement to anyone.  Once spring migration begins I can't wait to spring out of bed every morning and dash outside to listen for any new songs.  The next birds due in are the White-Throated and White Crowned Sparrows.  I've seen their cousins Fox and Song.  I heard Chipping yesterday, but never saw him.

So this Saturday morning I was outside checking on my feeders when I heard a song I'd not heard before, but knew what it was immediately!  Gobble...Gobble.  I bet you guessed it, too.  Turkeys.  I had missed them in the front yard last week displaying.  (My daughter managed to  get a picture for me....Thank you, Ella!)  I wanted to hear them and see them.  I turkey trotted inside to get my equipment.  Did I mention, I'm in my pink polka dotted PJs which are covered by my big purple robe?  My feet are housed in matching slippers.  If you want a chuckle, imagine me at my neighbor's fence on top of a planting area about two feet up.  Camera around my neck and binoculars glued to my eyes.  I'm looking all around for the  turkeys I hear two yards down.  My neighbor on the other side walks out with a load of garbage for his can.  He is dressed to be outside.  He does a double take at me, and just shakes his head.  Do you think he saw me?! I waited for him to go back inside before I skulked back inside like a fox sparrow.  I'd like to say I'll never go out in my PJs again, but that's not true...It just won't be tomorrow.  I never did see those darn turkeys.  Now I'm inside hiding, but I'd rather be birding!
Jenny
These turkeys show up regularly to eat the many acorns our trees
produce.  This picture was taken in the fall!


5 comments:

  1. Wow, the turkeys are really turning into urban pests, aren't they? There were a couple in Urbana a year or two ago that kept chasing people, including moms with strollers. They were finally relocated. I hope that's not as in "relocated"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I've seen the fowl type turkeys trotting around our neighborhood, although we have plenty of the human variety. I'd be doin' the same thing if I heard my Blue Jays and wasn't dressed! I think my neighbors know me well enough that I wouldn't even have to slink back inside eventually . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your neighbors are used to you. If they aren't, tough, I like seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will need to ensure you are granted access to 1 foot around your neighbors fence after you move. You see such good birds there, and your neighbor would otherwise miss seeing you with bins and PJs. Wouldn't it be even more fun to run out your new front door, crossing the street and running through your old backyard in pajamas?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an excellent idea! I am seeing excellent birds in my new yard, too! Last week I saw a Winter Wren. I know that what it was because it sang!! Such a cute little thing. So far, I have three feeders, two houses and two bird baths in my new yard!!
      Jenny

      Delete